The National Weather Service has issued a tropical storm watch for the Friendswood area. A TS watch means that 58 to 73 mph wind is possible within the next 48 hours.
Tropical storm Laura is currently located near Cuba and is forecast to become a hurricane upon entering the Gulf. Current forecast guidance from the National Hurricane Center indicates Laura will make landfall on the Louisiana or upper Texas coast as a category 2 hurricane.
Some coastal communities in our region, such as Galveston, have issued voluntary evacuation orders and other coastal communities may issue further orders this evening or tomorrow. Be aware that this may cause increased traffic on major roadways. Please avoid unnecessary travel and avoid traveling to the East where the most severe impacts will be seen.
Friendswood residents should closely watch weather forecasts and should take preparedness actions for a tropical storm impact. Take the following action now:
- If you have not yet done so, register your phone in the City’s Community Notification System (Note: if you have not previously received an automated call from the City, you are not registered)
- Fill your vehicles gas tank
- Ensure your emergency preparedness kit is fully stocked and replace items as necessary. https://www.ready.gov/kit
- Review your family’s emergency plan and make updates as necessary.
- Move backyard items, such as patio furniture, into your home or garage so that they do not become wind driven projectiles.
When watching forecasts, remember that wind effects can be seen well outside of the forecast cone and point of landfall. If the current tract shifts to the West our area would see higher impacts. Current guidance from the NHC indicates that the Friendswood area could see the arrival of winds at approximately 8pm on Wednesday.
The latest forecast data can be found at the National Hurricane Center website (https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/) and local forecast information can be found at the National Weather Service website (https://www.weather.gov/hgx/).
Tropical storm Marco made landfall on the Louisiana coast today and is minimal threat our area.
For Friendswood specific questions, contact the Office of Emergency Management at 281-996-3335 or by email at email@example.com.