Build Responsibly

All development in the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Floodplain requires a permit per Chapter 34 of the City of Friendswood Code of Ordinances Flood Ordinance (PDF).

Development includes, but is not limited to, all new construction, grading, and paving. Substantially damaged or improved structures, where the cost of repair (regardless of the cause of damage) or improvements equals or exceeds 50% of the buildings market value, also require building permits and elevation certificates, and are held to the same standards as new construction.

All new construction and substantial improvements must be built to 2 feet above base flood elevation in the FEMA Floodplain. Materials below base flood elevation must be water-resistant, and enclosures can only be used for parking, storage, or access.

Building Permits

Before you do any kind of work to your structure in the floodplain, check with the Building Division by calling 281-996-3201 to see if a permit is needed. Some flood protection measures may need a building permit and others may not be safe for your type of building, so be sure to talk to the City of Friendswood Building Department.

Any development in the Floodplain without a permit is illegal, such as constructing berms and any other barriers that divert water onto other properties, and such activities should be reported to the Building Division. 

Prepare for Coastal Natural Hazards Handbook

Copies of the Texas Homeowner’s Handbook to Prepare for Coastal Natural Hazards in both English and Spanish are available at City Hall and other City-owned buildings.