- About Our City
While staying and visiting Friendswood there are many things to do! Please visit our calendar to see what is happening this month within our community.
The Friendswood Historical Society sponsors:
- Tours of the 1903 Perry House
- Tours of the Frank J. Brown Museum
- Heritage Day Festival (October)
- Community Christmas Tree (December)
On Memorial Day in 2010, Friendswood dedicated a newly created memorial located adjacent to Friendswood City Hall.
The Friendswood Veterans Memorial, covering 3,500 square feet of space, includes a waving stainless steel American flag that is 8 feet tall and 16 feet wide, as well as two 7 foot tall granite columns on either side of the flag that features emblems of all U.S. military branches. Atop one of these columns is a 3 foot diameter stainless steel globe while the other column features a bronze eagle sculpture. An arched entry and limestone benches are also located at the site.
At the base of the steel American Flag, an inscription explains not only the purpose of this memorial, but the sentiments of those who will visit the site in the years to come, "Honor, Gratitude, Respect and Remembrance to the Men and Women who served in the Armed Forces of the United States".
Also, Stevenson Park on Farm to Market Road 518, behind City Hall, gives residents and visitors opportunities to:
- Run on the track
- Sand volleyball
The park also provides children with swings and jungle gyms. For more information, contact our Parks and Recreation department at 281-996-3220.
Nearby Friendswood there are plenty of things for tourists visiting the city to do:
- The National Aeronautics and Space Agency (NASA) is only fifteen minutes away and they offer the NASA Space Center.
- Houston, the fourth largest city in the nation, is only a thirty minute drive from Friendswood. Houston has a variety to offer; for more information, check out the Visit Houston website.
- The Kemah Boardwalk is another destination for most tourists; it is a twenty-minute drive from Friendswood.
- Galveston is a very historic town; one can enjoy shopping on the strand, or laying on the beach.
- Galveston beach is just thirty minutes away.
- Galveston is also home to the Moody Gardens Resort.